|Kevin's pictures are more artsy than mine.|
Bacon Cheddar Waffles
Adapted from Bonappetit.com
Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 12 waffles
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
3 large egg whites
3 large egg yolks
1 cup butter, melted (I would suggest halving this)
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup club soda
non-stick vegetable oil spray
Eggs for poaching
|Fluffy egg whited batter|
- Preheat the oven to 250 F.
- Fry up some bacon. Bask in the smell of bacon kitchen.
- Preheat the waffle iron to a very hot setting.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the egg yolks, melted butter, buttermilk and club soda together in a medium bowl.
- Beat the egg whites to medium-soft peaks.
- Slowly whisk the wet ingredients in with the dry ones until well mixed.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Spray the waffle iron to prevent sticking.
- Pour batter into the iron, making sure to spread it out to the corners.
- Sprinkle on cheddar and bacon.
- Cook until crispy.
- Keep warm in the oven.
- Poach eggs.
- Top waffles with poached eggs and glorious mounds of additional cheese and bacon.
|The waffles may have spread quite a bit in the iron. Unfortunately, I suggested we make them in my kitchen.|
|Fun fact: My mom is about as tall as one of the waffles|