Following the crazed cooking bonanza of the Great Cooking Streak of '14 and Cafaux TH, I found myself in the ultimate groove. I was spitting out words almost as quickly as I was knocking out dishes, but then a work trip and lots of eating out forced an end to all that (until I finally figure out how to cook things in the hotel coffee pot). Tonight, the itch to cook became too great, and I decided to rectify things. Since autumn is finally upon us, I decided to celebrate it with not one, but three kinds of squash in a comfort food dinner featuring Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese, as well as, roasted zucchini and yellow squash.
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
Adapted from Pinch of Yum
Time: 40 minutes
|One of these was a lot harder to chop than the other|
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 tbsp butter
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, & cubed
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
5 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp salt
2/3-1 cup shredded cheese (I used Gruyére)
Scallions, chopped for garnish
Salt, pepper, and sriracha to taste
|So boring and cheeseless. It looks like the lamest pasta ever, but it has a bright future.|
|Sauce that is practically a bisque|
- Get water boiling and cook your macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While boiling your macaroni, sauté the onion with butter in a pan over medium heat until soft and translucent (about 10 minutes). When almost done, add the garlic and let cook for 1 minute.
- In a separate large pan, sauté the jalapeno and red bell pepper with olive oil over medium heat until tender (about 10 minutes).
- In a large pot, bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Add the butternut squash and let simmer until tender (about 7 minutes).
- Drain the squash, reserving ~ 1/2 cup of the broth.
- Combine the broth, butternut squash, milk, onion, garlic, and salt together in a blender and puree until smooth. Add additional milk to control the desired level of creaminess. Adjust the flavor with salt, pepper, and sriracha.
- Add the macaroni to the large pan with the peppers. Stir in the sauce and cheese until melted and well distributed.
- Top with scallions and serve.
|Much, much better.|
|The full meal- complete with 2 more kinds of squash and Gardein "chicken"|