Café du Monde Cupcakes
Modified from the Previously Seen Cake
|Batter that doubles as coffee delivery system|
Time: 75 minutes
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, peeled and chopped well
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp Cafe du Monde coffee powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup brewed Cafe du Monde Coffee (you can add milk to get total volume)
1 Batch previously seen Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting
|It's clearly very important to be consistent with your Nutella scooping...|
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Whisk the flour, well chopped hazelnuts, baking powder, salt, and coffee powder together in a large bowl. Set Aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time until well incorporated.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Alternate adding in the dry ingredients and brewed coffee in 2-3 batches until just mixed.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Fill each ~ 1/3 full with batter.
- Add in a spoonful of Nutella.
- Top with additional batter so the liners are ~ 2/3 full.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes until the toothpick test comes back clean (be careful not to hit the Nutella center).
- Let cool on wire racks.
- Make the amazing Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting. If you're using Nutella, stay on the light side of added powdered sugar, because it already has a lot. If you use the hippie Hazelnut Butter that I did err toward the high side.
- Find a skilled cake decorator to make up for your cupcake tips being in a box halfway across the country.
- Frost the cupcakes and garnish with hazelnuts.
|Sadly, despite already having what is essentially frosting on the inside, they still require topping.|
|Michaela's piping skills are second to none|
|The Nutella tends to sink toward the bottom, but it magically always finds its way to your mouth.|