Adapted from RasaMalaysia
Servings: 1 giant pancake
Time: 20 minutes
|Jaime's hand modeling career begins!|
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1/2 cup water
2-3 tbsp kimchi juice
1/2 jar of kimchi, sliced into one inch pieces
2 scallion stalks, cut into small rounds
1/2 tsp salt
Oil for pan-frying
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp rice wine vinegar
Red chili flakes to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 scallion stalk, cut into small rounds
|Amazing spicy sauce|
- Whisk the flour, egg, water, kimchi, kimchi juice (note more you put the redder and spicier the pancake will be), scallions and salt together in a bowl. If you don't have any kimchi juice left in your kimchi jar make sure you substitute in water so the batter isn't too dry.
- Heat up oil in a pan over medium heat. Drop in some batter to form a giant pancake and pan-fry for several minutes until the bottom edges start to brown.
- Flip like a pro and cook until the bottom is browned.
- Cut like a pizza.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce and serve.
- Liberally add beer and BROing out.
These pancakes were pan-fried to perfection yielding a perfect pancake texture surrounding flavorful bites of kimchi that provided a wonderful kick (seriously load up on the kimchi because biting into it is the best part). Combined with the dipping sauce this savory and salty appetizer was absolutely incredible paired with the always sophisticated combination of beer and a movie.
|Dennis digs in.|
After 2 perfect flips, the pressure was on for Jaime
I guess I'll just have to keep searching...