Strawberry Whoopie Pies
Cookies Adapted from Mrs. Fields
Previously Seen in My Loving Ode to Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Servings: 8-10 Giant Whoopie Pies
Time: 30 minutes
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup salted butter, softened
3 large eggs, room temp
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/2-1 tsp almond extract
1/3 cup strawberries, pureed
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
|The ultimate chocolate cookie|
- Preheat the oven to 300 F.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt in a large bowl and whisk well.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together until a grainy paste forms.
- Mix in the vanilla and one egg at a time until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture in several increments and mix at low speed so as not to over-mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop ice cream scooper sized amounts on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes. Flatten the scoops slightly to help them bake through yet remain tall. Rotate once halfway through.
- Let the bottoms crisp up on the baking sheet for 2 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Make the filling by creaming the butter then adding the cream cheese until it's light and fluffy. Add the strawberries, salt and almond extract and incorporate well then gradually mix in the powdered sugar.
- Assemble the whoopie pies by scooping on absurd amounts of frosting and sandwiching it between two cookies.
- Let chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving to maximize awesomeness.
|"I find food looks better when there's blurry food behind it"-All of Pinterest|
|Dr. Omar contemplates the medical ramifications of what he's about to attempt (and the fame he's about to achieve. Sorry ladies, he's married.). In the end, he renounced the medical profession to spend his life eating cookies.|
Stay tuned for the grand finale: Bananas Foster Cookies complete with Ice Cream and Bourbon Caramel Sauce.