Adapted from Branny Boils Over and Vegan With a Vengeance
Time: 90 minutes
2 lbs russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Poke holes in the potatoes and bake them. Either bake them in an oven at 400 F for 45 minutes until tender or wrap in a paper towel and microwave for about 5-7 minutes per potato.
- Remove the skins and weigh out the necessary amount. Laugh while your roommate burns his hands trying to peel them.
- Add olive oil and salt and mash well.
- Incorporate about one cup of the flour then knead the dough on a lightly floured surface. Continue kneading in the remaining dough until you have a smooth, non-sticky and dry dough.
- Roll the dough into 1/2 inch thick ropes then slice into 3/4 inch long pieces.
- Use your thumb to press the gnocchi against the back of a fork to get both a notched and dimpled side.
- Bring water to a boil and add additional salt.
- Drop in the gnocchi and let them rise to the surface. Continue cooking for about one minute once they rise.
- Drain well.
|Put your dexterity to the test by hand forming the gnocchi. (Yet another time it's handy to have 2 roommates.)|
|First one to float wins. The same does not work for an underwater breath holding contest.|
|Cropped out: the super ugly gnocchi (yes, there were uglier ones).|
Making gnocchi by hand is quite the undertaking, but the feeling of accomplishment you get when you finally bite into these delicious morsels can't be beat. Despite not having the egg or parmesan cheese typical of gnocchi dough, these potato dumplings had an incredibly smooth texture and awesomely spuddy taste. Just make sure you don't skimp on the salt.
Vegan Vodka Sauce
Sent to me by Courtney
Servings: Enough for 4 times the gnocchi
Time: 45 minutes
2-28 oz cans whole tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 carrot, grated
1/2 + 2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp dried basil
1 block silken tofu, not drained
1 cup soy milk
3/4 cup vodka
Salt and pepper to taste
|Carrots in marinara sauce? The Gods must be crazy!|
- Sauté the garlic in some olive oil over medium-low heat until aromatic but not browned (about 60 seconds).
- Remove from heat and add tomatoes and their juices. Smash the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Add the carrot, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and herbs.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes to reduce.
- While it's simmering, make the vegan cream by blending the tofu and soy milk together.
- Pour in the vegan cream, vodka, salt, pepper and remaining red pepper flakes then let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- If the consistency is not to your liking, puree it in a blender until smooth. (It's important that you remember that the sauce is scolding hot at this point, so don't overfill the blender. This may have been my second attempt at the dish with the first ending with second degree burns that are still on my arm over a month later.).
|After much pureeing, you'll have one mighty fine looking sauce.|
|I've been experimenting with slightly slanted "Batman Villain" angles for pictures.|
|Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica. Stay tuned for Dennis' Beet Tutorial (Prepare to get schooled, Dr. Dre.)|