Chocolate Blackberry Cupcakes
Cake adapted from Food.com
Idea and frosting adapted from Your Cup of Cake
Servings: 15 cupcakes
Time: 45 minutes
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
5 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
6-7 tbsp blackberry puree (about one small carton blended), strained
Sparkly sugar for garnish
Blackberries for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl.
- Stir the milk, vegetable oil, vinegar and vanilla together in a stand mixer at medium speed.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients in at low speed until just incorporated.
- Fill lined cupcake tins 2/3 full with batter. Remember to reserve some for paying off your friend/helper.
- Bake for 13-17 minutes or until the toothpick test comes back clean. Be sure to rotate once halfway through. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Make the frosting. Start by beating the butter until light and fluffy. Then slowly add in the powdered sugar (scrape down the sides of the bowl in between each round). Finally mix in the blackberry puree on low speed then ramp up to high speed.
- Pipe the frosting on to the cupcakes then garnish with colored sugar and a blackberry.
|It's all about the sparkly sugar.|
|Dennis demonstrates the proper way to unhinge your jaw to allow for maximum cupcake eating.|
|The baking adventure concludes with strawberry banana quinoa muffins, which Dennis had to eat through a straw thanks to the unfortunate consequences of jaw unhinging.|